Friday, March 20, 2009

T minus 3 days

Ok, look. I will probably make no sense in this entry. The past two days have been spent on my feet, living off granola bars, filming and stubbornly going to shows. There's half a dozen Indonesian boys living in our living room (but we got free wristbands in exchange!). I'm not much of a drinker, but when I get sleepy enough it's like I'm drunk. I'm not sure why, it probably has to do with brain chemicals. I'm still going to write right now, though, for two reasons. One is, I figure I should capture the insanity of this exhaustion in an effort to convey a sense of authenticity of this production experience. Two is, if I don't do it now I never will, because I'm out and about again all day tomorrow and probably won't be near a computer until this time Saturday night.

Yesterday morning we met up with {{{sunset}}} at Premium Studio. There was a bit of a hitch -- when I'd gotten in touch with them to clear us for shooting, it turned out we weren't the only film crew. Radio K from Minneapolis was recording the show, both for their broadcast and video for their website. When we first got there no one knew if there would even be room for us in the studio! Oh no! In the end, though, it was all OK. We figured things out and made things work for both crews.

_MG_5267
{{{sunset}}} getting ready to broadcast

Here's a great video from Radio K's website:


Sunset - Loveshines II (Live on Radio K's SXSW Broadcast) from Radio K on Vimeo.

After the broadcast the boys hopped in Bill Baird's famous vegetable oil run van and followed him around until the afternoon. We met up back at the office for some footage logging and regrouping, then went down to Red River to get SXSW culture shots. Transpo is insane right now, you guys. Red River and 6th are shut down and dropping the crew off and parking and everything is madness. And here I had naive little thoughts of riding my bike around the festival all week. Silly me.

Trey Brown played a showcase show at midnight, but since I wasn't on the list and couldn't park anywhere anyway, I just dropped off gear for the boys and went over to the Hideout Theatre, which had the BEST lineup ever. JC&Co. followed by {{{sunset}}} (how bad is your day when you see {{{sunset}}} play twice in it, right?), then Mark Ashworth (!!!) who was amaaaaazing and then Brazos but I had to miss them because it was time to pick the crew up. I keep missing out on Brazos shows. This is not something I like. Seriously, though, check out Mark Ashworth. Incredible. Nathan and I talked forever today about how amazing of a song "Something We Can Hold In Our Hands" is.

Today we spent all day at 6th and Red River. The guys went out and got more culture shots, while our PA Ceci and I stood by with release forms and eyes on our gear. We set up base camp on Neches at 6th. We were there a long time so we sat down on the sidewalk next to the camerabags. We must have looked somewhat hoboesque because we made ten bucks by the end of the day.

IMG_0069
6th street today. This is usually where cars are. Not today!

IMG_0070
Pedicabs are everywhere

After going back to the office and logging more footage, the boys called it a night. I should have too. I should have come home and snuggled under my covers and slept and slept and slept. But I'm not always sensible. Two years ago I sat at my sad little desk at my sad little job in New York and wistfully sighed as I made myself sad little SXSW schedules for shows I wouldn't get to go to. So tonight I thought, sleep be damned! I'm going to enjoy this festival since I'm finally here.

I went down to Emo's to see Yellow Fever, but they're actually playing tomorrow. Then I ran over to Antone's, filled with excitement to see Mirah play. Becuase she is amazing. Of course, this was when I realized I don't know how to read my own calendar, because she's also playing tomorrow. That made me sad. Thanks to my handy iPhone, however, I looked up the sxsw schedule and made it to the Matt & Kim show in time to rock out. For about 3 songs, which is when I starting getting sleepy. Leaving insanely moshing and crowd surfing youth behind, I wandered back to Red River and watched Peter Bjorn and John at Emo's with a lovely British lady I met, who was filming the show for their record company.

I'm pretty sure it was a good show. Things were beginning to get hazy by then - it was 1am already. I enjoyed it, though. Not as much as when I saw them in New York a couple of years ago, but then, it was still a half hour showcase show. Last year I was only at SXSW for the first weekend, and I remember missing out on Peter Moren's solo shows, which were apparently great. My friend PJ (who told me about Nathan and this film, and is the reason for my involvement in all this magic) followed him around for a couple of days. It was some sort of promotional mini documentary I think. I was all sorts of jealous. You can still watch the video here (nice cameos, B.).

Tomorrow we're interviewing bloggers at the Mohawk, which should be really interesting! Then we're doing an interview with Joe Lewis at Waterloo Records, and then more culture shots. This festival is madness, and madness = great footage.

We have three days left of production. Three. Days. We're really making them count.

No comments: