Monday, February 9, 2009

"That sounds really cool... what is it exactly?"

People keep telling me that they like reading this blog - right before they ask what exactly the film is about. And while it's a work in progress that's constantly taking on a more exact shape, I can still sum up what it is we're doing. As a handy reference, I've added a link to the sidebar ("about the film") which will explain things.

Basically, we're making a documentary about indie culture in Austin and how it relates to the city. We're exploring artists' process and work, while also covering the landscape of the venues they play, the people who book them, the various sides of the noise ordinance issue, and the changing landscape of Austin both culturally and physically.

So how did I get to be a part of this? I've been working in film and television, with a dash of theatre for good measure, for a few years now. About three years ago a friend of mine told me I should check out a band called Voxtrot, and the whole Austin love affair kind of snowballed from there. I was struck by the interesting sounds and vibrant spirit of the music coming out of here, and by the communal sense each band or artist exuded. When I discovered Belaire I felt like I had stumbled into a whole new universe - especially when the EP I ordered showed up in the mail, completely hand made. Thoughts of moving to Austin and documenting this incredible niche started formulating in my head.

Nathan and I have a mutual friend here in Austin, who forwarded the link for the ATX Converge preliminary piece that was done for this film. I was working on a farm in CT at the time and didn't really want to leave, but I had to take this opportunity - the guy had already started work on my idea! I got in touch with him immediately and basically told him that I'm coming to work on his film, and after showing him the various reasons this would be a good idea, I was invited down as line producer.

All I had wanted to do was to explore the bands I liked and see where it took me. Nathan, however, knows this city much better and has a great eye for the grand scope of things. The Live Music Task Force, the emerging architecture, the dynamics of venues and a knowledge of the people involved. So when I was invited to come down and see Belaire record a new album, interview Bill Baird, go on tour with Peter and the Wolf... well, what would you have said?

So I guess that's basically what the film is about. It's a film about local music from an emotionally invested fan's perspective. It's about every element that comes together when music is made. You can't just have an album; you need artists to record it, who need a stage to perform and hone it on, a workspace to craft it, an audience to listen to it. You need a city that supports the arts, but everything is a compromise.

On the one hand, supporting means allowing freedom for performers. On the other other hand, being a city means respecting citizens, even if those citizens moved into a condo across the street from the Mohawk right before they started complaining about the noise. Developing new condos downtown is the logical next step in expanding industry here, and putting weight under the support beam of local artists -- it can cause conflict, however, when out of towners start taking over the DIY sensibilities of the locals.

So this is why we're filming. This is what we want to capture. We want to be flies on the walls of this town, watching what happens and letting progression and change speak for itself.

No comments: