Wednesday, February 25, 2009

The Crane

One of my aspirations in life is to eventually become one of those people who go to bed early and wake up early. Dawn is my favorite time of day and I'm absolutely a morning person -- I'm just never awake to enjoy it. So when I had to get up at 5am yesterday for a sunrise shoot on top of the Spring condo-to-be, I saw it as a great opportunity to really savor a morning.

And what a morning! It was absolutely gorgeous, albeit frigid. The sky was smeared with clouds here and there, with a thick layer at the horizon so that when the sun began to rise through it, the glow was a bright orange perfect sphere.

_MG_3720

_MG_3746

The only awkward part of the morning was being the only girl in an elevator packed with construction workers. That was a first.

Nathan and Rob got some wonderful shots of the city, and Kirby - the project manager - was so gracious and open to our project that he got Rob up onto the crane later in the morning.

_MG_4029 _MG_3822
Rob vs. The Crane

_MG_4031
Thus begins the climb...

_MG_4054
Climbing... The tallest crane currently in Austin, by the way.

For the record: it takes the crane operator 22+ minutes to climb up to his perch every morning. Rob did it in 12.

You know what else Rob did? Blow my mind with the footage he shot. The whole office was talking about it yesterday after we'd logged it and watched it. I should have some screencaps soon, but I can't even... it's amazing. He got shots from every part of the crane, and at one point he climbed into a basket and was wheeled out to the far edge. Then the crane was spun around so he could shoot the whole city below. There's a point where you can see a tiny Dave below, loading gear into his tiny car.

I have to say, even though this city is full of very open and relaxed people, and we owe many thanks to Perry Lorenz and Kirby Kuntz for granting us such access to their site, at the end of the day all you need is a couple of cameras and no boundaries. Our attitude, both crew and production staff, has been to just go for it and it's really turning our material into something immensely impressive. I guess what I'm trying to say is, it's to at least give things a shot -- you never know when it may turn out to be worth it.

After watching Rob's footage, we met up with Dana Falconberry by the South Lamar Bridge. The interview turned out to flow really well and went for way longer than planned, with the guys following her down along the riverbank for the second leg of it. She even played a few songs, and then in the evening we filmed her show at Salvage Vanguard. The greek play/rave set is still intact, and the room was rapt with attention. She has such a beautiful voice and such truly lovely songs. I noticed a woman watching her sing, completely astounded, a smile of mesmerized wonder stuck on her face. I must say, I agree with her sentiment.

IMG_0037

Today we shot some follow up stuff with James Moody, and tomorrow we have an interview with some real estate guys and then a shoot from atop the Austonian. Early to bed I go...

No comments: