Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Dallas

We drove in to Dallas today to pick up the thread of the Mellow Owl (aka. Peter and the Wolf) tour.

_MG_7885

What's cool about Dallas: that building to the right has a hole in it. That's about it. We got some cool shots of the skyline, though, and the weather was wonderfully eerie.

_MG_7855

We strapped the camera to the roof of our van using a cinesaddle and drove along the highway a few times until Nathan and Rob were happy with what they got.

_MG_7908

_MG_7920
Reviewing footage atop the car, next to a Novelty Mart -- when Rob was readjusting the camera, someone from behind the bushes threw a rock at him. Unfazed yet cautious, we pulled over at a different exit the next time around.

We went to dinner at one of Dallas' many (many many) fine chain restaurants, and then got a few Dallas culture shots before we went to film the Mellow Owl show. It's funny -- I thought it would be a relief to finally have a reason to speak with my favorite bands, other than declarations of fandom which, admittedly, I avoid because of their awkward nature. Sometimes you're just awkward no matter what, though. Besides which, there's something bizarre about seeing a band live that you've listened to for a long time.

Before and after the show they're people in a bar, but there's a separate moment when they're onstage, personifying moments and memories and attachments to sound you've developed while listening to their music. For some reason, it's still odd to me to reconcile the two, and the process of translating it onto film and making it come to life is what seems to be putting everything into a tangible context.

After the show we drove around town a bit more to get shots of the cityscape up close. It was raining something vicious, but we made it work and got some great stuff. It's late now and sleep is creeping up on me very stealthily, so I will leave you with this:

_MG_7944
Getting Dallas culture on film...

2 comments:

Jeff said...

Juuuulia. Sitting here with Karlyn and Josh L. and admiring your photos, your project, and your life. We miss you here in Falls Village. I (Jeff) am out of here tomorrow, but the others are sticking around for a little while longer. Keep up the good work.

Julia Gazdag said...

I just realized people have left comments, and I just noticed this! Oh me oh my! I miss you all. I'm glad you were reading along on your last night.