Monday, November 24, 2008

Day 9 - rain is not my friend today

We had to cancel our shoot today because of the weather. So, we did some work around the office, mostly catching up on footage and preliminary editing. We watched a lot of the stuff we got of various scenesters commenting on Austin's music, and... ok, it's not Williamsburg, I'll grant you that. But there is some serious douchebaggery afoot in this town. I guess that's any scene, though. You're always going to get your share of self-important idiots, and putting them in front of a camera will just inflate their ego. So really, we're kind of asking for it. If you think about it, these people are a pretty big part of this culture, so regardless of how ridiclous they can be (and believe me, there are no boundaries), it's all a part of the whole picture.

Then went over to the Drafthouse theatre to see Let The Right One In, a Swedish sort-of-horror/vampire movie.
I'm a total and utter wuss and normally it's impossible to get me into anything scary and/or gory, but the guys said it wasn't really bloody. Plus, at this stage in the game, I'd feel like kind of a jerk passing up a "bonding" opportunity with the crew. I mean, the more we know each other, the better, so I can probably live with a few scenes worth of staring at my shoes.

They weren't lying either, the gore was pretty minimal and the film was actually pretty good. Beautifully shot and composed, and an interesting story at that. The vampire in question is actually a 12 year old girl and the story is more about the relationship between her and a boy she befriends. In a way it was lovely, and in another it was horribly depressing. I don't want to spoil it, but you should see it if you can (before some big American studio buys it and disembowels it of all its atmosphere and soul only to give it a few week run and send it to DVD).

What's almost more significant, though, is that I had my first introduction to the Drafthouse theatre chain (I've only been here a week y'all - I don't know much of what's around town, I just know I can use "y'all" all the time and no one even blinks!). OK, so the Drafthouse is awesome because they have wooden boards (aka. tables) like two feet from your seat in every row, which have menus on them. From which you can order. Food. And drinks. And waiters come and fill your order during the movie. I'm not sure why this is so exciting to me, but it really is. In case you're interested (and I know you are), I ordered a hummus plate - red pepper hummus, pita, and vegetables. The hummus was pretty great and the pita soft and fresh. As for the vegetables, I can only speak for the pepper and carrot sticks, which were fresh and crunchy and all sorts of delicious. The celery remained untouched, since I hate that vegetable with the fire of a thousand prehistoric volcanoes.

All in all, it was still a productive day, in more ways than originally planned. We went back to the office afterward, and Nathan was still editing when I left. We're breaking for Thanksgiving on Tuesday, but I may still go in and mess around with editing some stuff. I may or may not be blogging about that, though. I think I'll save my literary prowess for the shows we're filming on the 3rd and 4th (Mckinney Park campfire and a show at Creekside - {{{SUNSET}}}, Peter and the Wolf, School Police, and oh! so much more). And of course there will be the Peter and the Wolf tour, and the hot Belaire action that'll be going down before Christmas.

No comments: