Sunday, November 16, 2008

Day 1(ish)

"Hey, how would you like to move to Austin, TX and get paid to work with your favorite bands?"

Would you say no? I sure didn't. Which is why I packed up my car and drove to Austin to work on this film. Nathan, our fearless leader and director, Rob, the man behind the camera, and Dave, the master of sound, have already gotten some amazing footage of White Denim and Trey Brown. We'll be spending time with Black Joe Lewis, Bill Baird and {{{Sunset}}}, a week touring with Red Hunter and Peter & the Wolf, a good chunk of time in the studio with Belaire as they record their new album, and various other bands as we go along. We'll also be following the effects of the noise restrictions the city has imposed on the Red River District and the rift between the music culture and City Hall.

We're trying to capture this music and its home in the most authentic way we can. All of us are pretty broke and are in it for the love of the work and the music - which sounds too good to be true, but it actually is. Finally, I am among my people. In fact, all the random knowledge I have about Austin bands seems to suddenly be a special skill. I'm not even sure what to do with that much awesome, but I'm sure I'll figure something out.

All I know right now is that I'm beyond thrilled to be working with these bands, especially Belaire, who are very near and dear to my heart. I thought that since the internet and the music blog world was what brought me to this scene, I would chronicle this experience in a blog as well. I'll try to write every day and follow the story as it unfolds. Occasionally other crew members may post a guest entry, so keep your eyes peeled. As of today, my life will be nothing but a total and complete immersion in the Austin indie rock scene. Awesome? You bet it is.

No comments: