Monday, January 26, 2009

Can you move your hips to this, son

Man, I'm tired. Discovering heretofore uncharted territories of awesomeness is exhausting. It's about 4:30 in the morning, so it's been an hour or so since I got home from Beauty Bar, where I saw the greatest lineup play that I've seen for quite some time: No Mas Bodas, Gayle Gold and Fancy Feast.

OK first of all, No Mas Bodas was fantastic. They took the stage and a few minutes later Nathan and I had this moment -- we looked at each other and both of us wordlessly agreed with the other, that this was something really amazing. He grabbed a camera and started filming then and there.

_MG_1751

They're experimental, they're fascinating, they're original and they're an all girl four-piece to boot! Christina, the lead singer, is a sweet looking honey voiced, adorably dressed, curly haired 50's sweetheart with a style and passion that's as gritty as her aesthetic isn't. The band uses pre-recorded sounds as well as live, the latter of which includes a cello. I must admit, I have a soft spot for classical instruments used in modern music. They're playing at Christina's house in a couple of weeks, and you can bet we'll be there!

_MG_1394

_MG_1400

_MG_1379

Then Gayle Gold played, who also played at Emo's when we filmed The Cari and Jason Band last week. They are still awesome and have a great energy and songs to warrant it. When your lead singer launches into cartwheels in the middle of the audience, you probably don't have to worry too much about putting on a great show.

_MG_1470

_MG_1497

_MG_1547
Cari watching Gayle Gold

And finally, Cari took the stage as Fancy Feast. Most of her music was pre-recorded and came from her iPod. Now, don't you even try to raise that eyebrow; I haven't been rocked this hard since I can't even remember. For the first time since I started photographing shows, I put my camera on hold because I just had to dance! The energy in the room built incredibly fast and didn't break until the end of the show. Cari kept it going with a lot of dancing in the midst of the crowd.

Fancy Feast @ Beauty Bar
_MG_2217

_MG_2130

_MG_1993
Cari's sister Christa added some vocals to the mix

I could make this an endless entry about all that is brilliant about this woman. Alas, it is very late (bordering on alarmingly early) so I'll keep it brief. Her music is original and inspiring, full of youth and energy and experimentation. She embodies it when she performs, but what's really striking is how she brings a completely different energy to the stage depending on which of her projects she's perfoming with, while retaining her personality and artistic essence completely. I've never seen an artist quite this, nor with such an infectious energy and creative spirit. She's also extremely generous with her work, which she's put up on Bandcamp for everyone to partake -- just make sure to spread the word and share!

Did I also mention...

_MG_2280
Girl sprained her ankle and still danced like a fiend. B a d a s s.

No comments: